Search This Blog

Loading...

Vegan Raspberry Scone Recipe From Babycakes NYC Cookbook


I spotted this Raspberry Scone Recipe in this month's Natural Health Magazine and immediately knew I had to give them a try!  I gave my sister the Babycakes NYC Cookbook for Christmas because I know she likes to make healthier baked goods and I thought she would like it.  This recipe was shared by the author of that book and owner of Babycakes (vegan + mostly gluten-free) Bakery in New York and Los Angeles, Erin McKenna. NOTE: This recipe is NOT gluten-free as it contains spelt

I've made this a few times now and its a great recipe.  It even got a thumbs up from my husband, who needs things to taste good and be good for you (whereas a lot of times I can just eat something knowing its good for me - taste aside):

Raspberry Scones Recipe

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 14 minutes
Serves 6-8 (my batches produced 6 every time)

Made without butter and with tart raspberries instead of currants or raisins, these scones are "as close to a traditional scone as BabyCakes NYC comes," says McKenna, She's also written a cookbook:  BabyCakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes from New York's Most Talked-About Bakery (the one I bought for my sister). 

2 cups whole spelt flour (such as Bob's Red Mill brand)
1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup organic coconut oil, plus more for brushing
1/3 organic agave nectar, plus more for brushing
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (organic, if possible)
1/4 cup hot water
1 cup fresh organic raspberries (I made mine with thawed frozen blueberries because I couldn't find any fresh berries at my store) 


1). Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2). In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.  Add the oil, agave nectar and vanilla and stir together until a thick slightly dry batter is formed. Pour hot water into the batter and mix. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the raspberries just until they are marbled throughout the batter.

3). For each scone, scoop 1/3 cup batter onto the prepared baking sheet. Space the scones 1 inch apart to allow them to spread. Lightly brush the tops of each with coconut oil.

4). Bake the scones on the center rack for 14 minutes, rotating the sheet 180 degrees after 7 minutes. The finished scones will be golden and slightly firm. Remove from the oven and brush with agave nectar.

5). Let the scones stand on the sheet for 15 minutes, then carefully slide a spatula under each and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store the scones in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.




Have you tried any recipes from the BabyCakes cookbook?  Which one is your favorite??





Important Note: One of our Facebook friends pointed out that spelt and spelt flour is NOT gluten-free.  While it may be more tolerable than wheat for those with wheat sensitities it definitely contains gluten and should be avoided by those with celiac disease or who desire to eat a gluten-free diet.  

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails